The ureter lies anterior to L2 to L5 and stones may be visualised at these points, they may also be identified over the sacro-iliac joints.
- 25-35 cm long
- Muscular tube lined by transitional epithelium
- Surrounded by thick muscular coat. Becomes 3 muscular layers as it crosses the bony pelvis
- Retroperitoneal structure overlying transverse processes L2-L5
- Lies anterior to bifurcation of iliac vessels
- Blood supply is segmental; renal artery, aortic branches, gonadal branches, common iliac and internal iliac
- Lies beneath the uterine artery